Saturday, April 27, 2013

Weekly Blog #3



A definite highlight from last week was starting the chemistry unit. The end of our last on biomes and ecosystems didn’t involve a lot of lab work which the students really enjoy. This whole week has been conducting an experiment on finding the “mystery mixture” with deductive reasoning and observations of 9 known substances. It was a lot of fun to let the students’ use the process of elimination and to try new tests that might reveal to them what the mystery mixture was. Each day we would progressively move closer to what the substance was and that kept students very engaged. It was a good lab to break into our chemistry unit as well because it reminded and taught them their lab procedures that I know I never received in middle school.

Something that made me think a little differently about kids was a girl who finally made it back into class after missing 10 days. She missed 10 days not because she was sick but because her parents took her to California without picking up any of her work. I was actually stressing out for her when she got back because knowing myself I would’ve been out of my mind thinking I could never get back on track. She on the other hand apologized for being absent, asked for her work, and got right back into the swing of things. I was amazed by her composure in that moment but then I was also amazed with her willingness to come forward and ask for help. I guess her predicament would’ve been way out of my comfort zone at her age and I realized I should expect a lot from my students because they can rise to the occasion. 

I will definitely add in the practice of assigning tasks to students who either need to get up and move around or finish their work early and become a distraction to other students.  One boy just cannot sit still in his seat for an extended period of time and instead of punishing him for his behavior and not making any permanent corrections my teacher allows him to pass out papers or hand out red pencils for self-assessing math assignments. He takes his role seriously and it becomes a win for everybody. The only issue I can ever see with this is if a student is not comfortable with another classmate seeing their score. For this class though she must have asked everyone at the start of the year if it was okay because it’s never been questioned before.

I had a management issue for the last 5 minutes of the period (felt like 30 minutes). The students had conducted an experiment on their nine substances to determine seven pairs that reacted together. They were in lab groups of 3-4 and so some of the results varied to a degree as I was walking around. I wanted to bring them back together as a class and go over their results and summarized them on the document camera.  Unfortunately, I received very little feedback and most students had already put their data sheet in their binders. They basically had shut down and I had to be stern with them to get their data sheet back out but they were still reluctant to give their feedback. I think I should’ve given them warning at the start that we were going to summarize and the benefit of comparing data. I think they just thought it was repetitive and pointless even though I knew they had discrepancies in their data.

No comments:

Post a Comment